Sunday, January 9, 2011

One track mind

I've had quilts on the brain! I know, no big shock. But, since I actually had some Christmas money and a baby on the way to make for those creative juices are flowing...So here is the fabric that is on it's way to my house for baby Tessa.



After some searching for ideas I think I have settled on the quilt pattern below, found here. I think it is perfect for a baby quilt, simple, with the sashing it makes the rectangles stand out. I tend to lean hard towards quilts with the white sashing, not sure what it is about that but I like how fabric pops off the sashing, looks cleaner to me I guess. I may make the sashing pink on mine but I have not yet decided...
In addition to this quilt I have managed to purchase a layer cake (10" squares) of Moda's Fruit Cake fabric from the fabric store at 40% off! Not sure what I am going to make with that quite yet but you can be sure it will be a quilt and it will be quite Christmasy.
I have also been reading up on how to hand quilt. Not for piecing because I think that would be horrible and tedious and I would hate it, but for the final quilting. I have a 1930's quilt top I made about 5 quilts ago, and I still need to put it together. Since it is larger than most other quilts I have made I am thinking it will be very hard to machine quilt it on my little Kenmore machine. So, I think I have decided it will be a good project to take on and start some hand quilting. With the older 1930's style fabrics I think hand quilting would really suit it, and it is something I can do on the couch and take with me, in case my attempts at crochet are in vain.

1 comment:

Greg said...

You're so creative! Wish i could give you a huge quilting room for your birthday... but probably not gunna happen :-)