Friday, February 13, 2009

Umpires (Happy Friday the 13th)

Last night marked the 10th softball game for the sailfish. They have had a good season so far although last night was the exception. I have finally managed these past 2 weeks to get out in the sunshine and the weather has gotten increasingly better much to my delight. Last night although the games did not go as we had hoped the officials were how do you say it interesting. It was the night of the fowl ball and whenever the plate official would not have a ball to trow to the pitcher he would walk over to our dugout and say "coach the umpire has NO BALLS." Me being the professional I am snickered and giggled each time. The tone and the seriousness that he said it sounded like a confession, and with all the time I have spent at games that has to be the first I have heard it quite put that way over, and over, and over. When the second game started, the officals switch positions on the field so the one with no balls was now on 1st base and the plate official quickly revealed his own quirk. He sounded like a large bird, I like to say a pteradactal, every time he called a strike. There was no mistaking a strike for a ball, with his loud cawing every time the ball hit the glove. It was an entertaining game.
Today I get to work the last home game for Mens Basketball and I am throwing a little party about it in my brain, yay brain party.

1 comment:

Jeff and Lauren said...

That is very funny. Did anyone else laugh along with you or were they too focused on the game?