Monday, August 11, 2008

Rattus Rattus



Greg and I were having a nice evening enjoying some olympic swimming when Mya looked to the kitchen and began barking. We both glanced in the direction of her bark only to sea A HUGE RAT climb from on top the refrigerator onto the cupboards and scurry away. Up until that time I would have never thought there would be a possibility of a rat getting into our place. Aparently it has been feeding for some time on the hambuger buns we had been keeping on top of the fridge.

After getting the heeby geebies, dry heaving a few times, and repeating in my head the image of this long tail and big furry body in our home Greg and I discover on a chair and with flashlight in hand a huge hole by the upper windows that allows perfect access for the little rat colony (made up of HUGE RATS)into our home. Outraged and utterly discusted we head to walmart in search of rat poison and traps.

Once we have all the sticky traps set and the poison in place on top of the cupboards where Mya wont get them we try and calm ourselves as we watch the US swim relay kick France's butt! Shortly after however, not more than 15 minutes since we have set the sticky trap we hear a scuffle. As we look at each other in fear of having to remove whatever may be stuck up there we hear more scuffles and screaches. Greg gets his leather gloves on and I am holding the garbage can (well I put it on the table and ran away when the screaching became more threatening and gross). Greg put the baby rat (still the size of what would be considered a big mouse in MI) in the bucket and took it out to the trash. So not only do we have one HUGE rat this rat has babies and who knows how many more are in the wall just waiting to come out and feast.

After all this excitement it is safe to say I will look at the movie Ratatouille a little differently. Rattus Rattus (the roof rat) are NOT cute, and they are even more not cute when they are eating your buns and scurrying in your walls!



We have terminix coming this evening with a good plan of attack! Watch out rats... your going down. Need I just say it, EW and gross!!!!

No comments: