Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What I have in common with Shrek...

Stuck with an annoying ass following me around day to day?  of course not!  I was thinking more along the line of  ear wax production.  As I sat in the doctors office for the 4th time in my life to get my ear flushed due to my "impacted cerumen" I couldn't help but think about Shrek.  I have made it a habit NOT to use Q-tips but sometimes I can't help myself.  Saturday I made the mistake, was deafened instantly, and I knew I was in trouble.  I tried the ear drops that are supposed to break it up but they did not touch it, ran the shower on high right into my ear with no relief, my singing in church was horrible, I was having a hard time hearing people or myself for that matter.  This morning I just could not take it any more and went to the walk in clinic in town, after about an hour and half of waiting, I finally got my hearing back!

This was the first time "the elephant" was used on my ear, usually it is a long stainless steel tube syringe looking thing.  It sounds horrible and is slightly uncomfortable when in use but it is so worth it for the immediate relief of symptoms.  The nurse told me that it is actually a pretty common thing and the people who get it once usually are the people who have to get it multiple times.  I guess I am just one of those people.  I have overactive ear wax glands (or something like that), just like my buddy Shrek.


2 comments:

Jeff and Lauren said...

Thankfully your ears aren't shaped like Shrek's. Glad you are feeling better!

Unknown said...

have you ever done ear candling? it gets a lot of the wax buildup from my ears and feels SO good. Plus, it is like $2 an ear if you do it yourself.